Unique & Authentic Treasures of Mahebourg | Mauritian Wildlife Foundation
Boat Trip to Ile Aux Aigrettes + Visit & Tasting at Biscuit Manioc Factory + Lunch at Nativ Lodge Restaurant
Unique & Authentic Treasures of Mahebourg
- Boat trip to Ile Aux Aigrettes Island to discover plants and animals found nowhere else in the world
- Visit and tasting of biscuit manioc making in a family environment (Address detailed below - by own transport)
- Lunch at Native lodge in a wild and unique environment (Address detailed below - by own transport)
- Opening Hours: Tuesday - Saturday from 10:00 or 10:30
- Arrival time: 15 Min prior to departure time e (If late, Ile aux Aigrettes reserves the right to reschedule tour)
- Location: Pointe Jerome, Mahebourg
- Validity: Voucher valid for 120 days as from the date of purchase
- Reservation: Required 48 hours in advance. Call service provider directly to select reservation date and time (subject to availability)
- Choice of lunch needs to be confirmed when making reservation
- Reservations: Once you have confirmed a date and time with service provider, any amendments will need to be confirmed by Service Provider directly
- No-shows will be charged total rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or re-booking allowed.
- Mauritian ID card or Resident permit must be shown by all guests upon arrival
- Failure to show Mauritian ID, will entitle the Merchant to charge the current public rate
- Merchant is solely responsible to the purchaser for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services
- Visit & tasting of biscuit manioc at Manioc Biscuit Factory - Fabien road Ville noire, Mahebourg
- Lunch at Nativ Lodge - Tombeau lane, Mahebourg
- Main Course (choose 1): Chicken curry or mauritian style fish or vegeterian menu accompanied with rice, pulses and condiments
- Dessert: Ice cream, accompanied with an infusion
Ile Aux Aigrettes & Biscuit Manioc Factory
The boat trip to Ile aux Aigrettes departs from Pointe Jerome. The tour on Ile aux Aigrettes takes about one and half hours with an additional 10 minutes each way for the boat trip.
As part of this tour you will discover Ile aux Aigrettes and enjoy original Mauritian nature with an expert guide alongside leading the way. You will get to see breath-taking scenery of the South East of Mauritius, and will be given a glimpse of the early history of Mauritius.
You will also get to see beautiful trees with strange names like Ox wood, Pipe wood, Rat wood and Bottle palm. There is also the chance to see a rare orchid in full bloom.
At the end of the tour, you will get to purchase souvenirs at the gift shop at the Visitors’ Centre. All revenues from the tour on the islands and from the gift shop are reinvested in the restoration and preservation of Ile aux Aigrettes.
Following the tour to Ile aux Aigrettes, you will travel by motor boat back to Pointe Jerome.
Around 1735, Mahé de La Bourdonnais brought a tuber of South American origin, called cassava or manioc, into Mauritius. At the time, sugar estates were growing it and using it mainly for cattle feed, in 1868, Hilarion Rault, whose father had come from Britton in 1807 to settle on the French colony Isle de France, developed a recipe for cassava biscuits. Family members on whom he had tried his recipe encouraged him to market his biscuits. Thus in 1870 the “Biscuits Manioc” were launched on the local market.
Since 1995 the biscuit factory welcomes visitors who wish to discover its traditional cooking method. In line with the ancestral philosophy, several generations have taken care of the old factory, always bringing their creativity into play to relieve the team of workers from the hardest tasks, some production stages have thus been improved through mechanisms built by family members themselves. But most of the equipment, such as the antique scale which is still in use and the traditional oven, date back to the beginning of the factory.
Five generations have followed one another to keep this unique secret recipe and perpetuate this tradition, which although more than 140 years old still promotes values and products to fulfill a craving of today’s demanding society: handcrafted products using natural ingredients.